Fairer Scotland Duty Public Bodies Questionnaire
Thank you for taking time to complete this questionnaire. The Improvement Service has been tasked with supporting the implementation of the Fairer Scotland Duty, which places a legal responsibility on certain public bodies to pay due regard to how they can reduce inequalities of outcome caused by socio-economic disadvantage, when making strategic decisions. Part of that work is to explore how Public Bodies subject to the duty are currently implementing the duty. The answers to this questionnaire will help to build up a repository of good practice to share across Scotland, to help to identify what support organisations require in the implementation of the duty and to shape a series of events and webinars.
Please complete the following questions and forward any examples of practice to Miriam McKenna at Miriam.email@example.com. Should you have any questions please contact Miriam on 07920 811662.
This question requires an answer
1. In this questionnaire we ask for contact details. We will only use your contact details to contact you about the Fairer Scotland Duty work being undertaken by the Improvement Service. Please tick here if you agree that your contact details can be held and used for this purpose. *
2. Do you have a nominated officer to support your organisation in the implementation of the Fairer Scotland Duty? If yes, please give us the name, job title and contact details of the officer.
3. Have you developed a process for implementing the Fairer Scotland Duty e.g. developed a Fairer Scotland Assessment Template, developed local guidance, carried out training with employees and/or Elected Members? If yes, would you be willing to share this to build up a repository of approaches? Please provide weblinks or email any documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also upload any examples of practice to the Fairer Scotland Duty KHub.
4. Would you be willing to present at a webinar or regional event to share your approach to implementing the Fairer Scotland Duty? If so, please give relevant contact details, if different from above, and a brief outline of your approach.
5. Do you have examples of how your organisation has taken into account the Fairer Scotland Duty when making strategic decisions? Do you have examples of the impact that consideration of social-economic issues has had on your communities, either before or after the introduction of the Fairer Scotland Duty? If yes, would you be willing to share these?
6. The Fairer Scotland Duty applies to strategic decisions. The current list of examples is:
• Preparation of the Local Development Plan
• City deals or other major investment plans
• Preparing legislation
• Development of new strategic frameworks
• Development of significant new policies or proposals
• Preparation of an annual budget
• Major procurement exercises
• Decisions about the shape, size and location of the estate
• Preparing a Local Outcomes Improvement Plan as part of a CPP
• Preparing locality plans
• Preparation of a Corporate Plan
• Commissioning of service.
Are there other strategic decisions which your organisation takes which you think should be included in this list? If yes, please set these out below.
7. Is there any particular support you need that would help you to implement the Fairer Scotland Duty?
8. Do you have any other comments about the implementation of the Fairer Scotland Duty in your area/organisation? Are there particular challenges or opportunities that you would like to highlight?