‘Benchmarking in the East of England’ is an annual survey aimed at museums in the region that are Accredited or Working Towards Accreditation.
The purpose of the survey is to gather evidence to help demonstrate and prove the social and economic importance of museums both locally and regionally to funders and stakeholders and to provide museums with data to enable them to benchmark their performance.
What’s in it for museums?
How to complete the survey
- Advocacy – evidence to make the case for your social and economic value in order to sustain investment
- Performance benchmarking – consistent data to compare your museum’s operational context
- Informing strategy – knowing your operational context will support your business planning
- Fundraising – the data can be used as evidence to support funding applications or to express your value with the public
Questions about the survey
- All figures should be for the financial period 1st April 2017 to 31st March 2018.
- If your museum operates on a different financial year to this, in the relevant section you will be able to specify that you are providing financial information for your museum's normal financial year. However, please ensure all other data is for the period 1st April 2017 to 31st March 2018.
- Please complete as many questions as possible. We know that sometimes providing an exact figure can be hard so if you do not have final data, please provide your best estimate.
- Some questions in this survey are mandatory, these are marked with an asterisk; please do not leave them blank.
- If the answer to a particular question is '0' then please specify this numerically in the text box rather than leaving it blank.
- If the answer to a question is not applicable then please specify 'N/A' in the text box.
- If the answer to a question is unknown then please enter 'Don't Know' in the text box.
- If you are a museum service or trust that runs multiple museum sites you should have been contacted separately regarding completion of this survey. If not please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please complete and return the survey by Friday 31st August 2018.
- The survey is being carried out by the South West Museum Development team on behalf of SHARE Museums East.
- All data provided will be aggregated and published with other regional museum data. Data may be published in various forms but museums will not be identifiable by their individual information, unless specifically requested.
- No personal information will be published and all data will be handled in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation act 2018.
- Thank you for taking the time to complete this form and we look forward to sharing the results with you.