Growing Volunteering: recruit, retain and rethink volunteers in your museum
About the project
The recent crisis has led to many museums rethinking their approach to volunteering, whether that is through scaling down some roles, upskilling others, identifying new roles or actively recruiting new, more diverse volunteers.
This project is an opportunity to look differently at all aspects of your volunteering offer. It is a chance to think about how to recruit a wider variety of volunteers, how to welcome them and retain them, and how to create meaningful opportunities that lead to a thriving volunteer community supporting your museum in the long term.
We are inviting 8 museums to be involved in this project to explore new ways of recruiting and retaining volunteers.
Participating museums will then be eligible to apply for a £500 grant to support their work in supporting, expanding and diversifying their volunteer base.
What’s the commitment for museums?
- Attendance at 5 virtual training workshops, held over Zoom
- Creating a SWOT analysis and action plan in conjunction with a Museum Development Officer
- Planning and delivery of agreed activity, using the grant by 1 March 2022
- Delivery of a short presentation on successes and challenges of grant-funded activity at shared learning day
- Friday 13 August : Deadline for expression of interest
- Wed 15 Sep, 10am-1pm – Workshop 1
- Wed 29 Sep, 10am-1pm – Workshop 2
- Wed 20 Oct, 10am-1pm – Workshop 3
- Wed 3 Nov, 10am-1pm – Workshop 4
- Wed 24 Nov, 10-11.30am – Session on advertising volunteer opportunities
- November: SWOT & action planning
- November-February: Volunteer recruitment activity
- 1 March 2022: Final report & evidence of grant spend submitted to SEMD
- Wed 2 March 2022, 10am-1pm – Project follow-up workshop