Devon County Council School Safeguarding Audit
1. Devon County Council Audit of Statutory Duties and Associated Responsibilities for Schools
Page 1 of 11
Please complete by Friday 30th November 2018
Each school/educational setting should have the following in place:
- A written safeguarding policy and up to date child protection (CP) procedures that have been agreed with the governing body. The policy must be updated annually (Keeping Children Safe in Education, 2018)
- A standing agenda item for safeguarding as part of every Governing Body meeting.
- A Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) role established with job description and deputy/deputies identified.
- A nominated CP governor (preferably not the Chair) to champion child protection issues and challenge the school/setting.
- Other safeguarding procedures, including dealing with allegations against members of staff and safer working practice (Guidance for Safer Working Practice for Adults who work with Children and Young people).
- Up to date training at the appropriate level for all staff and volunteers (including appropriate governors).
- Robust staff recruitment and selection processes which safeguard children and are in line with the Department for Education (DfE) procedures and the Government's document 'Keeping Children Safe in Education (2018)'. All settings should have an accredited person/people trained in Safer Recruitment. Safer Recruitment applies to all staff.
- A Single Central Record of identity, qualification and vetting checks for all staff and volunteers.
- An Acceptable Users Policy for IT equipment used by staff and volunteers (including computers, social networking sites, mobile phones, cameras, memory sticks etc) both for pupils and staff. The staff version should make it clear that staff should not be inviting pupils onto social networking sites and professional boundaries should be maintained.
- An Anti-bullying policy.
In completing this audit, please ensure that you provide evidence to support your response. It is expected that the audit will be completed by the Head Teacher, alongside the Designated Safeguarding Lead and the Chair of Governors or Governor with safeguarding responsibility. The results of the audit and subsequent action plan should be shared with the whole Governing Body.
Download an action plan here
Please complete the action plan at the same time as the audit as you will be asked to upload the action plan at the end.
The information you provide will be used for audit purposes only and will not be used or shared for any other purpose. Where we will share personal data this will be specified on the page where it is collected. We will store the information for a maximum period of 2 years, following which it will be securely deleted. Where you are providing personal information relating to another individual, please ensure they have access to our privacy notice. For further information please see our full privacy notice at www.babcockldp.co.uk/privacy
For further advice in relation to completion or submission, please contact the Safeguarding Team on 01392 287223 or email email@example.com