The Data Security and Protection Toolkit (DSPT) is a really helpful annual self-assessment for health and care organisations. It shows care providers what you need to do to keep people’s information safe, and to protect your business from the risk of a data breach or a cyber-attack. It covers both paper and digital records.
By using the toolkit on an annual basis and reaching Standards Met you will be able to:
- reassure people who use services, their families and your staff that you are managing their information safely. Most people expect you to share information with others who support them – but you must do this securely and legally
- answer the Care Quality Commission’s Key Line of Enquiry questions about how you manage data securely (see KLOE W.2.8)
- demonstrate that you meet legal requirements including Data Protection Legislation and the Data Security Standards
- access key services such as NHSmail and shared care records.
Our records show that your organisation has not registered for the DSPT and therefore we’d like to invite you to a workshop will last less than one hour and cover registering for the DSPT.
Once you have completed this step you’ll be invited to a further series of four workshops each around two hours long that will support you to cover the evidence required to achieve DSPT Standards Met.
Who Should Attend – only one person is needed
What Do I Need To Know / Have Before I Attend
- Care Home Manager; or
- Care Home Deputy Manager; or
- Care Home Administrator.
- Work Email Address ideally one from NHSMail (ending @nhs.net) – if you don’t have an NHSMail address you can get one without needing DSPT until 30 June, contact Katrina Davies for more information
- Your Organisations ODS Code – you can look it up here if you’re not sure https://odsportal.digital.nhs.uk/Organisation/Search. Type in your organisation’s postcode. If there are a number of codes and you are not sure which one is the right one, contact the Digital Social Care Team who can help: 0208 133 3430 (Mon-Fri 9-5) or email@example.com.
- Laptop/Tablet/Internet enabled device – the intended outcome of this workshop is that you register on the DSPT, you’ll need to have access to the internet to do this.