The Housing Ombudsman has issued a new Complaints Handling Code which seeks to enable landlords like PRHA to resolve complaints raised by their residents quickly, and use the learning from complaints to drive service improvements.
We agree with the aims of the Code and already comply with many of the recommendations. However the new code strongly recommends a two-stage procedure for complaints which, along with a reduction to 10 days for responding to Stage one complaints, would be the most significant change for PRHA.. We would like to hear from our residents and tenants and get your views on moving from a three stage complaints procedure to the new Code's two stage process and hope that you will be willing to participate by completing this survey.
If you also wish to be part of a wider discussion about the changes being made to PRHA’s Complaints Policy as a result of the Ombudsman’s code, there is an opportunity to provide your contact details when you complete the survey so that we can get in touch with you to discuss this. This is entirely voluntary and you do not need to provide your details to participate in the survey.
All responses to the survey will remain confidential whether you have provided your contact details or not.
Where you do provide us with your contact details we will only use them for the purpose of this consultation. We will look after your personal information securely and we will follow the principles of Data Protection legislation. We will not pass your contact details or any personal information you may provide to us during the consultation process to anyone else or to another organisation.
Current PRHA process:
Housing Ombudsman’s proposed two stage process for housing providers:
- Stage one – investigated by a manager and responded to within 20 working days.
- Stage two – not satisfied with outcome of stage 1, investigated by Assistant Director / Head of Department and responded to within 20 working days.
- Stage three – not satisfied with outcome of stage 2, appeal heard by the Management Board and responded to within 40 working days.
- External referral to Ombudsman – if not satisfied by the response from PRHA’s internal complaints procedure.
- Stage one – shorter 10 day timescale for response at Stage 1 complaints.
- Stage two - 20 day timescale for response to Stage two complaints.
- External referral to Ombudsman – if not satisfied with the response from the provider’s internal complaints procedure.
The two stage process would potentially remove PRHA Board involvement in complaint resolution internally, but would reduce the time before a tenant or resident could refer their complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.
For more information about the new complaints handling code you can visit the Housing Ombudsman Service website: https://www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk/
Thank you in advance for your co-operation.