Equity and Merit Scholarships are only available to applicants from Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania. Please only apply if you fully meet all of the eligibility criteria. Refer to our web pages to double check the requirements.
There is a clear separation between the process of awarding the scholarships and our admissions procedure. Scholarships are awarded entirely on merit. It is not necessary to have an academic offer of admission to apply for the scholarship There is no advantage or disadvantage in having an academic offer. If you are selected for the scholarship you will be automatically admitted for the course of your choice.
The deadline for applications is 24 November at 1700hrs (GMT)
How to complete this application form:
Most questions on the form require answers. Please type n/a in the boxes you wish to leave blank.
If you wish to leave the form and come back to it at a later date, please use the 'save and continue' option.
Please note that you will be asked to electronically submit the following documents at the end of the application:
- Two up to date signed references.
- References must be on letter headed paper and addressed to 'Equity & Merit Scholarships at The University of Manchester'. They do not need to be sent confidentially and there is no fixed format.
- Copies of your degree certificate and official transcripts, showing subjects taken and grades achieved
- Evidence of your English Language ability: Applicants from Uganda and Tanzania will need one of the following, as a minimum
- IELTS score of 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in writing)
- TOEFL: score of 90 (with no sub-test below 22)
- English grade of C in the Tanzania Certificate of Secondary Education (CSE)
- English grade of 4 in the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE)
For applicants from Rwanda only
, an English Language certificate is not required at the time of application. If you are shortlisted for the scholarship, you will be asked to take the IELTS or TOEFL test.
All documents must be uploaded and submitted with your application; documents sent by email will not be considered.
Once you submit your application you will be prompted to print out your application, we suggest that you do this because you will not receive separate confirmation by email.