Would you like to help improve council and housing association services in Scotland? Take our survey and add your voice to the National Panel of Tenants and Service Users. 

The Scottish Housing Regulator protects the interests of tenants and other users of social landlord services (including council and housing association services).  The National Panel is one of the ways that the Regulator hears from tenants and people who use social landlord services.  
You can find out more about the Regulator's work at http://www.housingregulator.gov.scot.

What's involved?
Panel members receive occasional surveys and invites to take part in other feedback exercises.  As a member, you can share your experiences and views on various issues affecting social landlord services.  Participation is always optional, and you can leave at any time.

We produce reports based on feedback from Panel members - these help the Regulator to focus on the important things.  Click the image below for the latest Panel newsletter.  You can also find the latest National Panel reports here.

Who can take part?
The survey and the Panel is open to anyone who uses Council or housing association services.  This includes:
  • Council and Housing Association tenants
  • People who are or have used homeless services
  • Homeowners who receive factoring or common repairs from a social landlord
  • People living on social rented Gypsy/Traveller sites
If you have any questions about the Panel, or if you need a copy of this form in other languages or large print, please contact Engage Scotland who manage the Panel for us.  You can reach them on 0800 433 7212 or natpan@engagescotland.co.uk.

If you are ready to start, please tell us below how you heard about the Panel.


The latest National Panel survey has just been published - you can complete the survey now or skip straight to the Panel sign-up form. The survey should only take 5-10 minutes. *