25 Insightful Graduate Survey Questions
Graduate surveys serve as an invaluable tool to explore the many and varied experiences and outcomes that stem from higher education. Beyond offering a snapshot of alumni perspectives, these surveys supply actionable data that can reshape curricula, improve student services, and even influence institutional policies. But, to create a comprehensive, insightful, and actionable survey, careful selection of questions is required, so as to get the fullest possible picture of post-graduate life. When crafting a graduate survey, judicious selection of questions is needed to unearth pertinent insights.
To this end, below we present ideas for questions across five different aspects of the graduate experience; employment status and job market readiness, skills and knowledge acquisition, satisfaction with the educational institution, financial aspects, and career trajectory and aspirations. Integrating questions such as these into your survey, bear in mind that they should serve as both a reflection and a catalyst for change within your educational institution.
Example graduate questions
Employment status and job market readiness
1. Are you currently employed?
2. How long did it take for you to secure employment after graduation?
3. On a scale of 1-10, how prepared did you feel for the job market upon graduation?
4. Was your course of study instrumental in obtaining your current job?
5. What would have better prepared you for the job market?
Skills and knowledge acquisition
6. Which skill do you consider most crucial that you acquired during your studies?
7. How have 'soft skills' (e.g., teamwork, communication) impacted your job performance?
8. Were there gaps in the curriculum that you believe should be filled?
9. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the applicability of your degree in real-world scenarios?
10. What academic resources did you find most beneficial during your studies?
Satisfaction with the educational institution
11. Overall, how satisfied are you with the quality of teaching you received?
12. How would you rate the learning environment (classrooms, libraries, labs)?
13. Were extra-curricular activities beneficial to your overall educational experience?
14. Did you feel supported by faculty and staff during your studies?
15. Would you recommend your alma mater to prospective students?
16. Have you taken out student loans to finance your education?
17. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the financial burden of your education?
18. Do you believe your education offers good return on investment?
19. Has student loan debt influenced your career choices?
20. What financial advice would you offer to current students?
Career trajectory and aspirations
21. Are you currently working in your field of study?
22. Do you see clear career growth opportunities in your current job?
23. What are your long-term career aspirations?
24. Have you undertaken additional certifications or training since graduating?
25. Do you consider your current job as a stepping stone toward your career goals?
Use our graduate feedback questionnaires
To get up and running quickly with your own feedback programme, browse our graduate survey templates. Including a general graduation survey, graduate exit survey, and career outcome survey, each comes pre-built with a sample of common questions, ready to use or customisable to meet your needs.